Monday, December 23, 2013

Destruction and rebuilding

I can't believe I have let this blog go so long without updating. Now is a good time to start actively posting again though. Today I began the process of deconstructing my first layout. I was never happy with the track--poorly aligned and rushed. I had constant derails on many of the switches. In fact, it was so bad I hadn't run a train around it in almost a year. I have spent several months redesigning the layout and getting input from modelers I admire. When I put the Christmas layout up and started running a train around it, I got the impetus I needed to start being serious about the new layout. I discovered I had done a better job gluing the track down than I thought--I was unable to save more than a couple short pieces of track. None of the Atlas turnouts survived so I guess I won't be selling anything on eBay. I do hope I can reuse some of the rockwork, tunnel portals, trees, clump foliage, etc. when I start building again.

The new layout will be larger, but will run around the edge of the room with a peninsula. I am going to build it in sections, with the Tahoma yard and industrial area first. That will allow me to make sure everything works for operations, and allow me to play around before jumping into the entire layout. Besides, I need to get rid of the bookcase that takes up space on one wall of the train room. Hopefully I will do a better job of documenting my progress here than I did the last time out of the gate.

No comments:

Post a Comment